Sunday, December 17

The Big Sleepover

I learned several new things on Friday night at the sleepover I had for my now 10 year old Avery.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First of all, 10 year olds are WILD!!! Avery had a sleepover last year for her birthday, and let me just say that one year makes quite a bit of difference in how these kids behave. A friend had already warned me that "that age of kids are crazy!!". I kind of blew them off. How bad can it be? 6 little GIRLS that are the same age playing. That's it. Not so bad. WELL!!!!!!!! About 30 minutes into the party, I was ready for it to be over. AND all the girls weren't even there yet. They were screaming, running around in the house (a big no-no in my household) BTW - Have you ever noticed that when your kids have friends over all the "house rules" go out the window? HMMM. I quickly ushered the kids outside to the trampoline that we had lit up with Christmas lights. (A life saver) The quietest that they ever got was during the frame decorating. They each got a picture of all the girls at the party to put into their newly designed frame. They turned out cute and the quiet was much appreciated!! I was so glad when Saturday morning rolled around and they all went home. Don't get me wrong - it turned out great AND the girls had a blast. Let's just say that the hormones are coming!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secondly, FRIENDS ARE AWESOME!!! My friend Cindy came over to help me with all the chaos. She was a ton of help. Glen had to work through the night, so she was the only other adult there. I think I would've pulled my hair out if she wasn't there to talk to me about everything.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thirdly, Puppies are like toddlers!! Our puppy Harley was in the middle of everything at the party. One girl didn't want to get off of the see-saw OR the trampoline because she didn't want Harley to "bite" her. (Harley could care less where this girl was). It was like every other word was "NO" to Harley. Again, this is where Cindy helped. Screaming girls AND a crazy puppy were TOO much for me that night.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, Not all girls are as naive as my little Avery. The words and comments that came out of some of their mouths were shocking. I had to nip some of the language in the bud. Literally saying, "Don't say that." It makes me wonder what MY kids say when they are away from me and at someone else's house. PLEASE tell me they aren't like THAT!!!! Only 2 of the girls were like this though. The others were little angels like my Avery. Ha!!!


17 Comments:

  • I had totally forgotten you had all of that going on this weekend! Good friend I am huh?? haha SORRY!! Sounds like you had your hands full...so glad Cindy came over to help. That would have been INSANE w/out her there!! What a neat idea w/ the frames, I bet those turned out great!

    I'm sure you are glad that is behind you. Until next year!! hehe =) Or in your case...until your next daughters birthday!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:09 PM  

  • HA -- talk about life lessons!!!

    By Blogger Glass Half Full, at 4:27 PM  

  • OMG.......... no wonder my mom warned me about sleep overs!

    By Blogger Lindsay, at 6:26 PM  

  • Sounds like a crazy night

    By Blogger Tasha, at 6:28 PM  

  • My favorite birthday memories growing up would be my sleep overs. They were always a blast!!! I am sure my mom was just like you...ready to pull her hair out by the end of it. One year when I turned 13 my dad took me and about 7 of my friends and we went toilet papering a house. Then he took us all to IHOP at 3 in the morning!! A memory I'll never forget!

    You are a great mom for having that slumber party!!! I know Avery will always remember it!

    By Blogger Allison, at 7:28 PM  

  • Glad to help, Nicole. That's what
    friends are for.

    And as your "older" friend who's
    been there/done that, these are the
    easy years! :)

    By Blogger cindy, at 8:11 PM  

  • Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of!!!

    By Blogger Nicole, at 8:36 PM  

  • It really wares you out doesn't it?? SlowMo has had a sleepover every year since she started school. Her 10th bday one was the best so far. They were actually nice and polite!! I don't even want to talk about the year before!!

    For some strange reason, the post of your new hair color isn't on your blog. I read it on my bloglines...very cute btw. But everytime I clicked on your blog, it wasn't there.? Weird. Now this post is here, and the hair one still isn't. did you get any comments on it?? Am I the only one not seeing it?? Let me know cuz it's driving me crazy!!!!

    flipflopmamma@gmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 PM  

  • Yeah, I tool it off. I HATED that picture and I didn't want it on here, so I took it off that first night. I didn't know it would mess things up for people. Sorry. I will try and take a better picture and post that one. We'll see.

    By Blogger Nicole, at 10:15 PM  

  • What a madhouse... You are a wonderful mom to host that and not lose your head in the process. It's probably better your hubby wasn't there for he would have said, "never again" if he had witnessed it all.

    And puppies... yes, they are about the same as a human baby with the work load (only that tough window is much lesser with a pup).

    By Blogger Gina, at 9:00 AM  

  • Glad you survived the party!! Sounds like it was a lot of crazy fun. And what a cute idea to decorate your trampoline with Christmas lights!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:09 AM  

  • I don't think you have to be THAT worried about the teen years - bad teenagers generally give lots of warning. Your daughter's a good kid now, and she'll stay a good kid.
    There are only five girls in my daughter's class, so even a whole class sleepover couldn't be very out of control! It sounds like it was a lot of fun (for them)!

    By Blogger Beck, at 12:13 PM  

  • I don't know how my mom handled all the sleepovers I had. We would be dancing in the livingroom until 2am, then we were ready to go toilet papering or outside to do something else that would seem more "teenager"ish.
    THAT is why I am hoping for boys.
    **and by the way, your kids are angels around me as well!

    By Blogger Kara, at 2:10 PM  

  • OH NO... this is what I am so afraid of... a PRE-TEEN daughter! Thankfully there wont be any sleepovers anytime soon for me!

    By Blogger Lisa, at 3:16 PM  

  • Memories...slumber parties were so much fun when I was growing up. Your daughter will thank you later.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:02 PM  

  • I had a similar experience at my daughter's slumber party for her 10th birthday last Spring. I couldn't wait for it to be over. But I have a picture of my daughter surrounded by her friends and she's never looked happier.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:59 PM  

  • I am probably naively looking forward to the sleepovers. What a cute idea with decorating picture frames... definitely will do that one day!
    Congrats on surviving the 10-year olds!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home