Friday, December 8

A Mysterious Phone Call

As I was laying in bed last night, my phone rang. It was 10:45 and I was in bed - EARLY for me. So I was a little irritated that someone would call so late. MY phone was downstairs and it was a ring that is for only people that I don't have programmed into my phone, so I didn't jump up to get it. I layed there and let it finish ringing and it beeped that meant that they had left a message. I casually went down stairs still a little miffed that someone would call so late on a week night. When I listened to the message, this is what I heard a young man that I DIDN'T know say - ,"Hi, I was told to call you and tell you to look on your back porch, Merry Christmas." Well, at this point I am a little freaked out. I am thinking that someone is trying to get in the back door or something shady. (Am I paranoid or what?) So I wake Glen up and let him hear the message about the same time we hear knocking on the back door. Now I was REALLY freaking out. It is getting close to 11:00 and I did NOT want Glen to go answer it. (OK, maybe scaredy cat is a better description) As I throw my sweatshirt on and yell down to NOT open it, he yells," It is cleaning supplies!" I am thinking that someone thinks my house is so dirty that they bought us something to clean with. We open the door to about 14 FULL bags of groceries. Noone was standing there, but I knew my mom (Who lives 2 and a half hours away) was behind it. I had just told her earlier that JUST buying groceries was going to be a struggle this week. So I am trying to think who she called to go get us some groceries. I am barefoot - but I walk out towards the front of the house when I hear footsteps running down the street. I see this person crouch down so that I "wouldn't see them". So I call out," Who are you?" As I get closer I see the outline of my MOM'S head. YES!!!!!! MY MOM drove 2 and a half hours ON A SCHOOL night (she's a teacher - so she is going tohave to get up and go to school) to buy us some groceries. WHO DOES THAT????? She stayed (I made her) for about 20 minutes, but then had to get back in the car to get home. She got home a little after 2:00AM. I just love her. I could not and would not have asked her to do anything like that, but she goes above and beyond what THE BEST moms would do. I am SO blessed to have her as one of my best friends! She is AMAZING! I want to be like her in SO many ways. SO!! If you hear the phone ring late at night, know that it might not be bad news or a prank call. It might just be a bigger blessing that you can imagine. Did I mention that 2 things of OREO's were in the sacks? YEAH!!!!!!

16 Comments:

  • What a sweet mom you have... this story brought mt to tears! THis is something my mom would do!
    WE are so lucky!

    By Blogger Lindsay, at 8:56 AM  

  • What an amazing gift! I can't believe that she drove all the way here on a school night to buy groceries anomously. She might make the mom hall of fame for that onee! My favorite part of the story is picturing your mom trying to flee the scene and then getting caught! Thanks for sharing your blog with me...I love blogging when I have time.

    By Blogger Summer, at 10:39 AM  

  • I would have been afraid, too. I would have made Jim get outta bed, too. But that is the sweetest thing! Isn't it nice that our mamas still take care of us? Will we still be taking care of our own kids when they're mommies and daddies?

    By Blogger AbbieCRAZY, at 11:23 AM  

  • That is so sweet. What a great mom. I have a great mom too, and hope I can be as good as her when my kids are big. I often come home from work with fridge and cabinet full of food for the kids lunches and after school snacks. Who did she get to call you?

    By Blogger Holly, at 2:42 PM  

  • Hi! I'm one of Lindsay's friends. I thought I would check out your blog... it is sooo cute!

    you are very lucky to have such a sweet mom! I would only hope that mom would do the same for me!

    By Blogger Lisa, at 3:07 PM  

  • The guy that called me was just a worker at United (our local grocery store). I think it was a high school kid that I'm sure thought my mom was INSANE!! Ha.

    By Blogger Nicole, at 3:20 PM  

  • Wow. You've got a great mom. I hope my kiddo doesn't see this post. I don't want him getting any ideas...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:03 PM  

  • You take the oreos....give glen the healthy stuff!
    -san diego

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:09 PM  

  • SAN DIEGO! I'm sure it needs to be the other way around, if you know what I mean. But don't you worry! I've already downed a few and the day is not even over!

    By Blogger Nicole, at 4:11 PM  

  • HEY! SO glad to see you are BACK! Holy Cow!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:24 PM  

  • Hello, I'm a friend of Lindsays at My Splattered Painted Life. Nice site I LOVE pink. What a great mom you have. I hope one day I can be a great mom to my girls like her.
    Welcome back!

    By Blogger Tasha, at 7:33 PM  

  • P.S. Who does this, you ask? A MOM does that. My mom would do the same thing. That is precious!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 PM  

  • It's so good to see you blogging again!!!

    That is such an amazing story. I love it.

    By Blogger ~Crystal~, at 11:23 PM  

  • That is amazing! God is good!

    I jumped over from Adventures in Babywearing. I had "lurked" a few times before you took your break. Nice to see you back!

    By Blogger Life With All Boys, at 9:29 AM  

  • I was thinking it was something Christmas related... those kind of weird things happen this time of year when folks want to stay anonymous.

    What a sweetheart you have for a mother!

    By Blogger Gina, at 11:49 AM  

  • That is the neatest story...it gave me goose bumps. I have a similar story, my husband and I are struggling this Christmas season as well so yesterday I get a phone call from my father-n-law asking for our mortgage account #...he is paying our house note for Dec. & Jan as a gift. God ALWAYS provides!! Thanks for sharing your great story! Your mom sounds like a great one! You better hang on to her..LOL!

    By Blogger CG, at 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home