Friday, January 12

The Natural Cycle

First before I write ANYTHING else, I want to thank Lindsay from the bottom of my heart for designing and fixing my blog. She did an AMAZING job and I couldn't be more pleased. She was GREAT to work with and is just a fun girl. Thanks Lindsay!!!

OK. Now for my post:

I have a very strong belief that parenting is what you make of it. Wouldn't you agree? When I was little my mom would always say, "Just wait until you become a mom, then you will understand." Then me with my attitude would sometimes think, "I'm never going to be like you!" I don't remember ever saying it, but probably wouldn't put up much of a fight if my mom said that I did actually say it outloud. (Sorry Momma!)

After I had Avery, things would come out of my mouth that sounded just like my mom. You know the sayings. One of which is, "You do it because I say so." I do and say a lot of things that I am sure my mom and dad both did and said. BUT - There are some things (no specifics in this portion, don't want to hurt feelings!) that I do differently.

I think that is one of the most awesome things of the cycle of parenthood. You take the good, leave the not-so-good and become the best parent you know how. In your efforts to be the best parent ever, you STILL make mistakes. We all do. AND our children are going to learn FROM US what kind of parents they want to be. Take what they think is good and leave the not-so-good. It can be hurtful to think that our kids won't think that everthing we do is good and are going to think of ways they want to be different than us. I just think that it is a natural cycle and I love it.

11 Comments:

  • YOU are sooooo welcome! I am glad you love it!

    By Blogger Lindsay, at 10:54 AM  

  • That is a great post and you are right! It makes me feel a little bit better about parenting and it's exactly what I do as well.

    And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new template. It's much more fluid. The new profile pic is AWESOME TOO! LOVE IT!

    By Blogger Angel, at 11:17 AM  

  • Looks great! And I agree with parenting! I say we learn from what we know, and "spit out the sticks"- meaning just throw out what doesn't work for you & such... it's what makes us all unique!

    By Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph, at 11:44 AM  

  • I agree. I do find myself 'channeling' my mother at times, but I find overall that I'm raising my kids very differently than my parents raised theirs. I don't know how much of it is 'tossing out the bad' (some of it is), as opposed to just wanting a different relationship with my kids. Our house is much more kid-centric than the one I grew up in. But I do follow my parents' belief that parents should be parents - not peers, if you know what I mean. I believe it's possible to be a Parent and still be your child's most ardent admirer, avid supporter, and have fun with them. But at the end of the day, it's the parents' job to set limits, be consistent in enforcing them, and yes, admitting it when we goof up.

    By Blogger Elle*Bee, at 11:59 AM  

  • I agree with you 100%.

    Oh and I love the new look, it's much cleaner looking!! Nice!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 PM  

  • First off, I love the look. Second, you are so right. You do take the best parts of your parents, and make your own mistakes.

    By Blogger Mall Worker, at 12:24 PM  

  • The blog looks great!! Good post too.

    By Blogger Glass Half Full, at 12:47 PM  

  • My kids would never say I've done anything wrong...they know better. haha Just kidding. Yep, I agree w/ everything you said. Well put. =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 PM  

  • it looks really nice! and that picture of you is gorgeous!

    parenting is hard. it is harder as they grow but easier too... it's such a paradox...

    blessings,
    Karla

    By Blogger Karla Porter Archer, at 2:00 PM  

  • OMG, when I am mad at hannah and yell, I sound JUST like my mom. Sometimes I even have to stop and laugh.
    LOVE THE NEW LOOK!

    By Blogger Tasha, at 3:47 PM  

  • Wow, I love your new blog design. You made a great post. As trying and challenging parenting is I realize that my wife is pulling quite a load and I fail to give her half the credit she deserves.

    By Blogger BigDaddyGonzoVents, at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home