Thursday, January 18

Trip To Lowes

Our door has been in need of some TLC for a while now. So Glen and I decided to use some of his Lowe's gift cards that he got for Christmas to buy that love. (Why is it that everyone gives him gift cards to places that they KNOW I don't want to go to??? HMMM?) Glen wanted to get a whole new door, which I would love to do too, but WOW doors are expensive!!! That is what we really need to do and hopefully soon we will be able to do that, but not quite yet. I was happy with just getting a new deadbolt/doorknob (which in itself was $70.00!!). I was thinking it would be an improvement without shelling out the big bucks. We ended up buying a really pretty one with Glen's card. It is a really dark bronze color, almost black looking. Glen and I both really loved the color of it.

So we get home and start to install this doorknob on the NORTH side of the house in 40 degree temps. Not so smart. Of course we didn't realize that it would take and hour to get it all on the right way. I never knew it was so hard to install a doorknob with a lock. Seriously. I think I am pretty smart and can read directions, but man that stuff was tough to follow. No words, just pictures. Needless to say the whole kitchen was FREEZING by the time we were done.

We rocked it out and it works WAY better than it did before and even looks better, so I am pleased. We are planning on getting a door soon though. But for now, we are going to enjoy all the hard work we did tonight.

14 Comments:

  • Yes, doors are VERY expensive. You learn alot of stuff like that when you build a house. LOL I also know how expensive door knobs are! Now..imagine installing them on the entire house..inside AND out! Kirk did them all himself here to save $$. He was pretty sick of it by the time he finished! Atleast you helped out...did I?? No. hahaha GOOD wife. =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 AM  

  • oh and you're gonna have to do it all again... wait until it warms up!! ;)

    Blessings,
    Karla

    By Blogger Karla Porter Archer, at 1:08 AM  

  • Oh gosh, stay warm! My Mom & Dad bought my brother & his wife a new door for Christmas- that's what they wanted!

    By Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph, at 6:42 AM  

  • We need new front AND back doors - our doors are awful. Just part of the fun of a zillion year old house! I can't believe that a new doorknob was that expensive - this owning a house stuff costs too much!

    By Blogger Beck, at 7:07 AM  

  • We had a doorknob fall off and I was surprised at the cost of replacing it!

    It's kind of exciting getting something new for the house, even if it's a door, isn't it? :-)

    By Blogger sari, at 7:52 AM  

  • Guess what came for you last night?? PENS!! LOL No more Allegra & Nasacort pens...nope....girl you get Duetact & Actos pens this time!! Consider yourself LUCKY. (I know you already do..heehee)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:45 AM  

  • We so badly need a new door too! I can't believe how much the are, though. I think we we will wait for Spring (if it ever comes!) so we don't freeze like you two did. :)
    Oh and I am so impressed that you helped install the new knob and lock!

    By Blogger Jamie, at 10:02 AM  

  • I love Lowe's, like really really really love that place. Sometimes I go just to go and browse and dream.

    By Blogger Angel, at 12:00 PM  

  • Nice that you could jass up the door without going all out for a new one right now!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:16 PM  

  • Sounds like I need to hire you guys to get some stuff done around my house!!

    By Blogger Lisa, at 3:35 PM  

  • you know...I never like lowes until i go in there for something I want for the hosue and then I am in homeowner awe of all the cool things that they actually sell.

    I feel your pain in the cold....I am in Michigan

    By Blogger Tasha, at 4:39 PM  

  • Now, I'm a girlie girl, but I loooove Lowes and Home Depot. I too rec'd a Lowes gift card for Christmas but I haven't spent it yet. We also could use new doors, but I'm hoping to spruce mine up with another coat of paint and put off buying new ones for another couple of years.

    By Blogger Elle*Bee, at 7:30 PM  

  • You did that in the COLD? Wow. Not me, nope.

    By Blogger OhTheJoys, at 8:41 PM  

  • Doors are indeed a pricey item! Our front door was so expensive, but I wanted something differnt since all the houses in our neighborhood are so similar. It was worth it. I love my front door!

    Glad you were able to get the door fixed with a new knob/lock. I agree those directions SUCK!

    By Blogger Gina, at 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home