Saturday, October 6

I ran my first 5K!!

I know this picture is dark, but is the only one of my cheering section before the race. Glen was of course taking it, but he was there too! :)

So after MONTHS of talking about running a 5K(3.1miles), I finally just signed up for one last week. Cindy's daughter had signed up for one and I thought that if I didn't just sign up, I never would REALLY do it. It is so easy to say you're going to do something, but to really do it is a whole nother ball-game. (I've never typed that out before, is that how you say it?? whole nother??? ANYWAY!!)



Me and some guy that passed me right at the LAST second. I guess he didn't want to let a GIRL beat him. HA

I "trained" really hard this past week with the help of my friend Dennis (THANK YOU DENNIS!!!) He told me how long to run, what to eat, when to time myself, when NOT to run. The whole nine yards. I ate pretty good this week too, so I was REALLY feeling like a for real runner. HA.

Dennis (AKA-my trainer) and me - He really does smile!! Just not for pictures. :) NOTICE: I ran so fast my headband fell back!! Nice!! So much for fashion. Avery said that I looked like I was trying out for American Idol with the number on my chest. HA. That girl!

Today was the big day. I was really nervous and went into with 3 main goals:

1.Finish UNDER 30 minutes
2.To run the WHOLE way
3.Not to be last

All of these I was pretty sure I could do, but you just never know - ya know?

Well, let's just say that I made my goals by a LONG SHOT. (except I did WANT to walk once, but talked myself out of it)

My time was 27:33 and I actually got a ribbon. Yes, that's right - A RIBBON!!! I got 6th place in my age bracket. Dennis's time was 21:47 and he was UPSET he wasn't faster!!! Oh my. I guess real runners are crazy like that!! There were 175 runners ranging from 5 - 80!! I was WAY impressed.

Parker wore her My Mom Rocks shirt just for me!!

It was hard, but I really had fun. After we finished, we all headed over to Cindy's for breakfast. Pancakes, bacon and fruit. YUM!! She was so thoughtful to think to do that, and I even got to pick the menu. THANKS CINDY!

Bailey has already said that she is going to run with me next year, so that is something to look forward to. She loves to run and that gives her a goal that we can strive for together.

Not sure when my next one will be (There is one in November!!), but my first will always be remembered as an AWESOME experience.

BTW-Avery has been SO sweet this week about the race. She prayed about it at her Bible Study and has every night since. Then tonight, she came and said that I did good running. She even wrote in her prayer journal a thanksgiving prayer about it. That girl knows how to make her momma feel special! :)

26 Comments:

  • I'm SOOO proud of you!! You did so awesome! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on! THANX DITTOS! =) That is such an accomplishment, you seriously need to be proud of yourself! I'm bummed I didn't do it with you! Can you say loser?? haha Maybe next one? If you are gonna do the one in November...let's do it together. I need some motivation. Ugh. Anyways...congrats bestie...I'm so proud of you!!

    Oh and btw....LOVE Parkers shirt. =)

    By Blogger Anna, at 9:50 PM  

  • Nicole, you did SO good! I missed the start, but I'm glad I got there for the finish. Now maybe I can get motivated to try one??? But Dennis may quit as your trainer when he sees that you posted his time and his picture! But he is thankful that you kept him loose before the race by keeping him laughing! :)

    By Blogger cindy, at 10:09 PM  

  • Hey Nicole - Congratulations. Email me at marcelain5@sbcglobal.net, and I will send you a brightened up version of your group pic, I ran it through photoshop. But I don't have your email to send it.

    By Blogger Tammy M., at 10:20 PM  

  • way to go. I remember my first 5k. I was in high school running cross country. Man, I was terrible. I came in dead last every single race that year. I was the short fat kid that always finished the race...dead last. How embarrassing that everybody knew my name because of it! I believe that the coach was digging deep for awards when he gave me the "Most Inspirational" award...seriously, embarrassing. You did awesome! Maybe you should come run with me in Central Park when you come visit. We ran around it last Sunday morning. Absolutely beautiful! Love ya!

    By Blogger Rustino Scar, at 12:00 AM  

  • Congratulations!! Great job on meeting all your goals!!

    By Blogger Jennifer (mom of four), at 9:43 AM  

  • you are AWESOME! way to go!!! i love all the precious support you got on race day. too sweet!

    By Blogger annalee, at 1:11 PM  

  • WAY TO GOOOOOOOOO! You are awesome!!! Way to teach your kids too how to make goals and REACH them!!! You are my inspiration!!

    Now you need to make your goal even higher! How bout a half marathon??? You could totally do it!!!

    I am proud of you! You look like one hot mama running to the finish line!!!

    By Blogger Allison, at 1:41 PM  

  • Way to go Nicole! I'm impressed that you have been consistently running and finished your first 5K! That is no small task! I love Parker's shirt.

    By Blogger Kate, at 4:01 PM  

  • Congratulations. You are fabulous. I've given you an award. Come on by.

    By Blogger Nadine, at 9:45 PM  

  • WAY TO GO! I am super proud of you! You are a stud and no one would ever believe you have had 4 children!

    By Blogger Ashley, at 10:18 PM  

  • You go, girl!!! :)

    Lori

    By Blogger Glass Half Full, at 7:51 AM  

  • Way to go!! I am training to walk/run a half marathon in Dec. in Dallas. I hurt my knee this week though so who knows. You should feel proud of yourself!! LOVE Parkers shirt!

    By Blogger Amy, at 9:04 AM  

  • Parker's mom certainly does rock! :) i'm SOOO impressed!

    By Blogger ali, at 10:25 AM  

  • you rock!

    By Blogger Kara, at 3:13 PM  

  • Congrats! That is an accomplishment to be proud of!

    By Blogger Lori, at 5:00 PM  

  • Good job! That is so awesome! I think a 5k is an excellent way to start and that's great that you just went ahead and did it instead of procrastinating. I would love to do one some day, even though I'm a horrible runner.

    By Blogger Kari, at 10:52 PM  

  • WTG! I keep *talking* about doing a 5K but have yet to do one. You did a wonderful job and deserve to be proud of yourself! :)

    By Blogger Tanya, at 1:50 PM  

  • Way to be, Nicole. That is great that you reached your goal of running a 5K. I am sure I would die if I tried that. I like the pictures you posted of your cute kids and you. They are proud of their mamma! Rightly so.

    By Blogger Tamra and Jim, at 7:27 PM  

  • Nicole, I laughed at your "whole nother ballgame" comment. It is actually correct to say "another whole ballgame" but people have kind of turned it around and use it that way today. It does look funny when it is typed out though. So that's your English lesson for the day! (since you asked...)

    By Blogger Tamra and Jim, at 7:31 PM  

  • you are awesome!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:23 PM  

  • How awesome...congrats gal. What a great job....and how wonderful of your daughter to pray for her mom...very special.

    By Blogger Jen, at 2:46 PM  

  • You are the WOMAN!!! You have every right to feel so very proud! Wade and I have a blog now, so check it out. Love you, Reese

    By Blogger Procters, at 4:41 PM  

  • Congrats! Sounds like you did great! It must feel wonderful to train and run... I feel motivated to start exercising just by reading your post :)

    By Blogger K, at 10:29 PM  

  • That is amazing!! I can't even run a mile. I'm such a wimp.

    By Blogger Miss Notesy, at 5:48 PM  

  • So very, very impressed!

    By Blogger Melissa, at 9:24 PM  

  • Time for an update, YO!

    By Blogger Allison, at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home